Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, October 6, 2009


I promised good news, and DAMMIT, I'm going to give you some good news.

Since hearing that three word sentence, "You have cancer" I have been trying desperately to get back to "normal," not even my normal, any normal.

I want to see past my limitations to the possibilities.

This can be used for the learning experience it is.

Despite the latest hurdle that landed me in the hospital on Saturday, an abscess in my right lung so painful I couldn't breathe (and still can't. That abscess is getting a beat down tomorrow), I have been appointed to NH's HIE Planning and Implementation.

HIE stands for Health Implementation and Exchange

The State HIE has received Grant funds to provide a framework for states to implement an HIE(and accompanying HIT or health initiative technology – Electronic Medical Record (EMR) systems).

I have accepting the leadership role for this federally funded program.

NH DHHS is organizing a group of stakeholders to represent all interested parties indefining and implementing an HIE that serves in the best interests of all New Hampshire citizens.

I'll be serving as NH's patient representative and will be advocating the need for improved electronic communication process among a group of "who's who" stakeholders, and hopefully, eventually, help to begin to derive an extensive electronic medical records system.

The goal is to improve health care processes using what I have learned through my schooling and my years of pain and suffering with cancer. For now I am just so excited to join. I'm getting my groove back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, congratulations on such an accomplishment. I look forward to all the great work you will be doing - you might be the next Ted Kennedy (that's a compliment). Get better soon.