Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween Here We Come





Whoa, mama. I woke up, and my body KNOWS it’s Halloween.

My body wants chocolate.

If I was in the hospital, I’d be getting it prescribed or pumped through my vein via IV.

Thank goodness Deb D. dropped off brownies with dinner yesterday or I may have had no where to satiate my craving.

X also knows it too since instead of dressing, he is all ready a GI Joe, and it’s only 7:30 in the am.

And of course, I can’t find my damn camera for the occasion.

Halloween is a decent holiday, mostly when you’re young, free, and able to dress up in cute little French Maid outfits or police uniforms.

I have had a lot of fun in Halloween past getting to celebrate in NYC’s village (which is crazy daily) to our countries’ capital with my favorite college roomie, Cheryl.

Looking back, I know I’ve lived a full life.

Who marches in the Halloween parade in Greenwich village only to scamper the next year to DC for a pub crawl to turn into a cancer fighting vixen the very next year?

Yeah, that’d be me.

This year, I’m going to be a surgeon, Dr. Boris Lupos, in honor of the two who plagued me day in and day out throughout my nasty surgery.

If my chest tube was still in, I could have hooked up my oxygen and gone as the Bionicle Woman.

Thank goodness it’s not.

I have to say, my favorite Halloween in my adult life was the one when I was relatively healthy (only receiving radiation), and a friend and I planned a whole big bash that I was able to participate in!


miss the freedom of saying “Hey, let’s throw a party with a hayride, costumes and trick-or-treating.”

That is what I thought raising my son would be, but I know, we do the best we can. He isn’t ever at a loss for anything, and no matter my status, there are some things he just can’t miss, like Hallowesta and Hayrides, sleepovers, sports, and birthdays. He has never missed out on a milestone, and luckily, I hear from good “been there” sources, that kids don’t remember the bad.

Good thing since All these treatments have left me just a skeleton of my previous energetic self, but I’m hoping, as LDI nears and I get farther from my chemos, I’ll get back to her.

I’m starting with walking sans oxygen.

Maybe, next, I’ll dance. Xander all ready is.

I'll leave you with this thought: Do you know what your pumpkins are doing?

No comments: