Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Happiness is Contagious

I have finally come to the conclusion that maybe, possibly, my mind works a little differently than everybody else.
It seems like I’m a little bit of an enigma. I’ve been accused of putting up a front and not exposing the real me.
Nothing could be farther from the truth.
I’m reaching back into the depths of my memories to relive the best and worst experiences of my life so they can be relayed accurately to you.
I don’t know if you will ever find anybody more real (or mo’ realla’ for my NYC girls) than me. I know I’m more friendly than most, I smile more, and I do good deeds for no reason.
These qualities make people suspicious. It is so sad.
I will tell you how my mind works in a few simple steps.
I believe, and always have, that everybody is connected with a few basic traits and feelings we all experience. There is an essence of human kind that transcends nature, nurture, religion, socio-economic status, past experiences, etc., etc., etc.
It’s the basic building blocks of our psyche, our most simple characteristics, that we are all born with and harbor our entire lives. We all, no matter who we are, want these basic feelings fulfilled.
Due to this knowledge, I have a great deal of comfort in associating with people from all walks of life. People do not scare me. I don’t share in the fears of stereotypes that many do.
I believe most people will respond in a manner similar to which they are approached. It’s proven dominant personalities can cause emotional changes in a person with a weaker personality just by sitting beside them silently for a period of two minutes. If the dominant personality is happy, the weaker personality will “catch” this feeling and become happy too.
Let’s all catch the feeling too. There is scientific evidence that happiness is contagious. This is the basis for which I approach people.
I want to leave a person better than I met them.
I first recognized this effect after throwing hissy fits or being hollered at. Situations could ruin my day. I’d want to go and cry.
Why not flip the switch and try to leave each person I associated with a little happier?
It’s also proven, venting your anger on other people does not make the person venting feel better. So stop it haters.
I believe it takes just as much energy to blow my top and line out a person for their ignorance than being pleasant and amusing to enhance their day, but I do not have a problem with telling someone I feel they have done something wrong.
I’m not going to lie and say I’ve never let loose on someone when I was having a bad day and did just not have the patience for their blatant disrespect to my situation.
I try to abide by an inner rule that I will treat all those I encounter with dignity and respect and I expect the same in return.
Hopefully, they will continue to enhance the day with kindness towards others. It is the same amount of energy. The same amount of brain power. Why would I choose the dark side?
Why would you?

3 comments:

emjay. said...

cheers!
Stop by the Family Center whenever you're in the area, it's one thing to read your blog but it's great to see you in person, and we have plenty of good cheer to spread around!

Unknown said...

How can anyone think you aren't being the real you after readin this blog?!! Hill, you are an amazing person. Your smile and happiness is, perhaps, more contagious than others. I think it has something to do with a mischevious qualitiy that is often present! :) I'll make sure to make my happiness contagious today! Love you!

Anonymous said...

"Be excellent to each other" a good motto to live by. Hope to get up to see you soon......