Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Vic's Hillary Update Ot. 5


Hi to AllI want to be sure to tell everyone about Hillary's blog. This is where it really gets tough. She has had at least 5 sessions of chemo. We all expect her gorgeous new thick hair to be lost in the near future. She is hoping the new donor has nice hair because she definetly got Heathers hair from the first transplant. You can tell from her Blog that her chemo brain is beginning to show. She is in a lot of pain but you won't hear her complain. She also is getting extremely forgetful. She ordered 2 lunches today as she didn't remember doing it 15 minutes before. I didn't tell her of coarse I just ate it for her.This weekend there was not much activity. Today all the doctors and support people we ready to go. She had something done to her every minute it seemed. I saw about 4 different Hillary's today. I went to pick up a book for her in the morning then went to sit with her. She was just getting her chemo. Right on the drug package is a big warning that exposure to this can cause Cancer. So what are they doing with it? Putting it right directly into Hillary Heart and into her blood stream!!! While this is done in about 1/2 hour she just crawls up into a ball and feels aweful. Then they gave her some drugs to stop her from getting sick. that make her buzzed Hillary. She was happy and smileing and making jokes. Then she was Hungry Hillary she really had the munchies. Then she was forgetful Hillary. She Could not remember what had happened a short time before. Of coarse we had the bone marrow coordinator come in between this time and explain the process. This should have been done before the chemo started but it was on friday night. She will not remember a thing about the meeting. Heather, Allen both visited today.Also 1 of Hillary's best friends, Killey Bascom works just 2 floors up at Brigham and Womens. Hillary now knows that this won't be easy. She was hoping for an easy time. She is hoping that her blog will just make everyone realize that you should not get all upset over the little annoyances of a bad monday. Just being able to go home makes it a good monday. Well I'm writing this during the Red Sox game. Pierce and I have walked by Fenway park the last 2 days. It is just a short walk from Dana Farber and Brigham and Womens hospital. I should be going wild at a bar near the park. I can feel the energy from all around. Of coarse who is pitching?? Jon Lester who got lymphoma in the spring of 2006. The same time Hillary got her Lymphoma. He has made a remarkable recovery and is pitching professionally at the top of his game. Hillary is doing her 2nd bone marrow transplant. I just can't get into it!!

1 comment:

DebA said...

Well you got a great game...things to come perhaps. Know that we all are here cheering for your home team!