Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, October 6, 2008

Time is up

It’s time. I knew the time was coming. I started thinking crazy thoughts like, “well, maybe I won’t get that sick this time” and “maybe this will be easier. I’ll recover faster. I won’t experience all those harsh side effects. I’ll be transported back home quickly. Dr. Meehan can do most of my post-transplant care. There’s no need to be in Boston for such a significant period, in a city I don’t know, with people I don’t know, in a hotel I’ve never seen before.”
These are all crazy thoughts.
I feel nauseated. The feeling starts like vertigo. It feels like my head is swimming. My view of the world starts to change, I get this nagging feeling in my stomach. I try to lie really still. I put myself in fetal position and stare at the TV, hoping to be distracted, hoping if I don’t move the feeling will subside.
This feeling won’t be subdued, and unless I’m medicated prior to moving, I’ll throw up. Then I’ll throw up again and again. Once the flood gates are open the water keeps coming.
I’ve arranged my room so I can complete most tasks from my bed. I’ve moved things so I can take minimum steps to meet my needs. If I feel like exercising, I can always take more. My electronics are in the top drawer of the night stand with my books and pen. The second drawer is for underwear and sox. The third drawer is empty, it’s not at arm’s length from my bed.
My computer is always on top of the side table, where I can grab it quickly and move it. The charger is also plugged in beside that.
I’m going to start to hurt. I’m going to want to move as little as possible, unless I’m inspired by dance party USA in my room, I’ll be in bed today.
My drawers with my clothes are in directly line with the bathroom. Eventually, inane tasks will be like climbing Mount Everest. My legs will feel like lead, my lungs won’t want to take a full breath, and my eyes will barely open.
I’m getting my K+, mag, fluids, fluderabine, busulfan, and a blood transfusion today. I’m a full blown chemo patient. The fluderabine has a great bright orange sticker stating that “this drug is a “carcinogen and exposure should be limited” (See Picture above)
I’m going to pour it directly into my heart. . . . for fun, just to tests myself (sarcasm). Yes, I am a lymphomanic. I just can’t seem to drag myself away from the chemo and radiation.
I’m also getting my first transfusion of this round of the fight today. I’m sure it came imported especially from Tiahana. I’ve had so much blood mixed and matched over the years it takes a special breed to share blood with me.
Since it’s a Monday, and all the doctors have returned. I’ve seen the dental examiners. I then saw a PA who brought another woman who I have no idea who she does, but she appeared to be nice enough. She didn’t breach the look but don’t touch policy I generally have for strangers.
That’s the extent of my day so far. I thought this part could be avoided, but it’s coming. It’s starting today. I have to get worse before I get better. I’m going to keep my eyes on the prize. I’ll keep you updated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was in my e-mail tonight thinking, "I wish Vic would send a Hillary update." Then, I realized that I don't have to wait for him anymore. I can go right to the horse's mouth! I want you to know that we stopped what we were doing on Friday, at the office, and all sent you good vibes. Did you feel it?

Lindsay flew in to JFK yesterday and spent the day at the New York Doctor's Without Borders Office. She's taking a flight to Burlington tonight, staying overnight with her friend Amy, and I'm picking her up in the morning. The first thing on her list is to go to Victoria's Secret to buy new underwear. She hasn't had any new since before she went to Africa, so they've been washed on rocks for two missions now! I guess they probably do need replacing.

So, I'll think of you tomorrow morning while I'm driving north and maybe you can think of Lindsay and I shopping at Victoria's Secret, to take your mind away from that room.

Much love!
Alanna

Frank said...

Yo Hillary ... I know that you're starting to move into the tougher part of this process ... but keep your eye on the prize girl ... you continue to inspire so many people ... & I am totally convinced that I'm going to collect on our deal!!

Stay strong ...