Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I'm Watching the Bloomberg Report

I’m watching Bloomberg television. This is my early morning routine. I wake up, start the coffee, turn on the computer, and turn on the tv. I then go feed the cat and let the dog out of the house. I pour my coffee, mix it with my cream and sugar, and go back to the livingroom to plop on the couch.
I like to listen and watch the financial professionals. It’s interesting to see the economic state of the world.
I’ve been watching the stock market and making picks since the sixth grade. It’s not the legal form of gambling I once thought it was. There are structure, rules, and patterns that can be understood. We’ve all seen what happens when these structures and rules are circumvented.
I’m not advocating to buy anything on the market right now. I think long term investors, such as people my age, should go all in and buy shares in companies with a long term reputation of stability. Businesses are on sale. You have time to hold until the rebound.
What strikes me today is that, among the havoc and falling prices, health insurance companies, micro-devices, pharmaceuticals, and research are all posting profits. They’re dubbed as currently “recession-proof.”
Posting profits on the future of medicine? You mean my cure could be out there, being traded among brokers, and tied to the wallets of fat cats. Their speculation has all ready raised the price of oil to unaffordable levels. People are worried about freezing.
I’m worried about dying, and I don’t like grubby businessmen’s hands on my medicine.
Even if the cure for cancer was out there, could anybody be able to afford it. Could you imagine what aspirin would cost if it was discovered today? It would probably rival the cost of my zofran (a drug to keep me from vomiting often specifically used for chemo related nausea), which runs over $700 a script.
Keeping with the aspirin analogy, if someone could afford it, would it even be approved through the FDA? My guess is, one case of Reye’s syndrome, and the bottles would never make it to the shelves.
When I was younger, I always thought that if I found the cure to anything, I would send the molecular structure to all the newspapers in the world and post it all over the internet. If I did this, the information needed to manufacture the drug would be in the hands of the world, and not solely the pharmaceutical companies. The drug would be affordable. No one person, company, or country could lay claim to the rights.
If you think this idea is a little naïve, that manufacturing medications is a complicated process that should not be left to the lay person, I might agree, but meth is cooked in Mexico everyday. That recipe is just as complicated and dangerous to create. Robitussum was pulled off the shelves because junior high school students were combining the cough syrup with an ammonia concoction and extracting the DMT to dry, snort, and sell.
If push came to shove, and you needed a life saving cure, how far would you go to get it? There are people all over the world who would step up to create a medication from a formula found on the internet.
There are too many cooks in the kitchen when it comes to creating new treatments. There is years of red tape involved in research studies. I wish the world would go back to the basics. Oversight and safety are important, but not to the point where they interfere with improving health.
Maybe the cure, or if not the cure, a better option, is out there in the world, but it hasn’t made it to our hospitals yet. It’s a scary thought.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hillary, You are one amazing girl---Your writings are priceless. When this is over you need to write a book. I'm sure God must have a very special plan for you...to pass this on and use your expriences to help others. My prayers are with you. God bless!!!Ann-Marie Fowler