Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, October 9, 2008

I'm a Saint Today

I’m a saint today. The Champlain came in and blessed me last night. He’s absolved me of all my sins from the past. There between me and God now.
I try to be a good person, but I have some weaknesses. I’ll let you use your imagination regarding those. Maybe someday, I’ll be the person I want to be, a person I’m comfortable with.
The pastor did tell me this great analogy, however, about the Sycamore tree. I love the sycamore tree. I have a great graphic on my computer from the MET (Metropolitan Museum of Art) that I’ve been dying to use, but had no use for. Little did I know, the giant sycamore tree, with its impressive trunk and looming branches has weak roots!
The sycamore can only stay standing by combining its root system with those of smaller trees surrounding it. Without their help, the great sycamore would crumble and fall.
It’s a lot like community, for one whole entity to be successful, there really has to be a whole lot of others holding it together.
I’d like people to recognize the ties and responsibilities they have towards society and the community in which they live. Sometimes people become complacent with what they are doing. It’s refreshing to look through the eyes of someone else. Someone who may be in a position you may never be in and may never understand.
I always flitted between careers and labels. I think the US often associates our professional label with who we are. Our occupation is what we do, but who we are is so much more. Psychologically speaking, some information can be gauged by a person’s outward appearance, including their livelihood, but the steps that brought them to here and now have always been more interesting to me.
Those experiences make the person whole. They are basing their decisions and actions on information received from these past experiences, whether good or bad. Just thought you should be aware.
I woke up this morning and as soon as I started moving, I started throwing up. I’m back in bed. Staying very still. It’s making it difficult to write. Nausea is a relatively rare side effect of this treatment. Some people get it. I did.
It’s also only 6 am. I’m awake because blood is drawn and vitals are done at 5am!
Can we have a model of patient centered care here? I don’t want to be woken up from my deep comfortable sleep to be poked and prodded then left awake, only to suffer from nausea and boredom. I say move the labs back. This schedule is antiquated. I have a PA that watches over me for 8 hours each day. She can get the am labs at 10 am if they were drawn at 8, and give me an extra couple hours of sleep.
The doctors could round about lunch, with the labs, and a morning of information at their hands. Very little happens at night. Yes, there are some crashers. They should be dealt with on an individual basis, and the needles should be kept away from the patients until 8 am.
Waking up like this makes me grouchy. I’m going back to bed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am SO with you on the early morning wake-up for vitals and labs!! Start the revolution while you are there. JUST SAY NO!! :)

We are thinking of you, especially, today. Happy re-birthday. It's also my nephew's birthday, so that makes you birthday buddies. Does that mean we're related??????

Huge hugs!
Alanna

JusFrugal said...

Hil, you are in my thoughts today! Happy re-Birthday!